UKC Officially Merges Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) Into UKC Stud Book
Effective January 1, 2024
December 21, 2023
Department: Registration Dept.
Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) is the oldest purebred dog registry in the United States providing dog owners with authentic documentation, registration, certified pedigrees and DNA services. From the 1874 to 2021, the FDSB registry was managed by original publisher the American Field Publishing Company.
On September 1, 2021, UKC announced the official acquisition of Field Dog Stud Book & the American Field Publishing Company.
The historic blending of these registries has been a strategic process. On January 1, 2024, the two registries officially step into the future as one stud book with dual privileges offered both retroactively and moving forward.
- As of January 1, 2024 there are 39 select breeds (full list here) eligible to receive pedigrees under the FDSB mark.
- Dogs of the select breeds registered with FDSB prior to January 1, 2024 will see no changes in their registration status and are now also allowed to enter any UKC event for which they are eligible.
- Dogs of the select breeds registered with FDSB on or after January 1, 2024 automatically receive dual privileges and will receive their pedigrees under UKC's FDSB mark (within whatever package is purchased at the time of registration). No additional action is required when submitting paperwork for eligible breeds to receive the appropriate paperwork back.
- Dogs not of the select breeds listed above but already holding FDSB credentials do not lose their validity and are automatically invited into the UKC registry.
- Dogs of the select breeds who have customarily received UKC pedigrees in return from UKC and never opted to register with FDSB will be automatically awarded FDSB credentials moving forward when their next order is placed.
- Dogs not of the select breeds currently holding FDSB credentials will, upon their owners' next interaction with UKC's Customer Support team for the optional purchase of a registration service or updated pedigree, be transitioned to the appropriate UKC pedigree design.
Brief Overview of UKC Registration Services
UKC offers unique paperwork for the following registration types:
- United Kennel Club (UKC) offering certified pedigrees in various styles depending on which breed the pedigree is for and covering 300+ breeds. Within UKC, certain breeds are eligible for the following special issue designs:
- Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) for dogs of select breeds most commonly on the field trial circuit. This pedigree style pays tribute to the original FDSB pedigree design and is a nod to the immense history in the sport with this stud book.
- Bloodlines (BL) a Performance Listing design for dogs otherwise ineligible for UKC registration. Coming soon.
- American Pit Bull Terrier only dogs of this breed are eligible for the APBT design.
Guided by the belief that dogs make a difference by being the best partner a human can have in the field, on the job, or in a competition event, UKC is a community for people and dogs to pursue excellence together. Founded in 1898, UKC has been dedicated to enhancing the lives of Dogs That Do More, and their owners, by providing essential resources to help owners and breeders make informed decisions. The dog-human bond is celebrated through family-friendly programs highlighting the instincts and heritage of purebred and mixed-breed dogs alike at over 18,000 licensed events annually.