Weight Pull Announcement
Posted on 07/29/2011 in DED News.
July 29, 2011
UKC Weight Pull Community,
After careful consideration, the United Kennel Club has made the decision to continue with the UKC Weight Pull program, with considerable changes. Additionally, the United Kennel Club will have a zero tolerance policy for any deviations from the goal of a fair, fun, and family-oriented event. With that said, UKC will be continually monitoring the UKC Weight Pull program.
The following rule changes will be put into effect immediately:
- · Class placements (1st – 4th), Most Weight Pulled, and Most Weight Pulled per Body Pound overall awards have been eliminated.
· Dogs will be allowed to pull up to a set maximum of a dog’s body weight. Once the maximum is reached the dog is automatically withdrawn from the pull. The maximum weight a dog may pull will be set as follows:
- o Wheel System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 35 times the dog’s body weight. For example a dog who weighs 100 pounds will be allowed to pull up to 3,500 pounds and no more.
o Rail System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 45 times the dog’s body weight.
o Snow System: a dog is allowed to pull a maximum of 15 times the dog’s body weight.
· The Grand Weight Pull Classes and the Divisions 1 and 2 have been eliminated. Therefore, the weight classes will be divided by weight only. All dogs will pull in their respective weight class on the day of the event regardless of the title they have achieved.
· Title requirement changes: (There will be no changes to the requirements for the following titles: (UWP) United Weight Puller, (UWPCH) United Weight Pull Champion, (UWPCHX) United Weight Pull Champion Excellent, (UWPV) United Weight Pull Versatile, (UWPO) United Weight Pull Outstanding, and the (UWPS) United Weight Pull Supreme. Please note that any points that have been earned prior to August 1, 2011, will remain on the record, and will count toward the progression of the next title. Also, all titles that have been earned and recorded under the previous point schedule(s) will not be affected by these changes.)
- o The United Grand Weight Pull Champion (UGWPCH) title. To earn this title:
- § Eligibility. A dog must earn the UWPCHX title before it is eligible to earn points toward the United Grand Weight Pull Champion title. Accumulation of points toward the title of United Grand Weight Pull Champion begins at the next pull following the completion of the requirements of the UWPCHX title.
§ Requirements. A dog must then earn 500 additional championship points in accordance with the Championship point schedule in section: XXVI A. to become a United Grand Weight Pull Champion.
- § Eligibility. A dog must earn the UGWPCH title before it is eligible to earn points toward the United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1 title. Accumulation of points toward the title of United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1 begins at the next pull following the completion of the requirements of the UGWPCH title.
§ Requirements. A dog must then earn 1000 additional championship points in accordance with the Championship point schedule in section: XXVI A. to become a United Grand Weight Pull Champion 1.
It is the hope of the United Kennel Club that the focus of the UKC Weight Pull program be on the bond between the exhibitor and dog, and that the above changes will help shift the focus to ensure UKC Weight Pulls are fun, family-oriented events.
It is very important to move forward with a positive and constructive objective. The United Kennel Club expects that all UKC Clubs, UKC Judges, and UKC exhibitors adhere to the UKC Rules and Regulations. The success of this program relies on all involved (all UKC exhibitors, UKC Judges and UKC Clubs) adhering to the rules and regulations put forth by UKC. If you do notice a rule violation(s) or misconduct, please refer to your official UKC Rules and Regulations to make sure what was witnessed is in fact a violation of the rules, or an act of misconduct prior to initiating a complaint. In the event that a violation(s) or misconduct has been committed/occurred, be it by a UKC exhibitor, UKC Judges and UKC Clubs or all of the above, it is the responsibility of those who witness such act to file a complaint according to the Official UKC Rules and Regulations (page(s) 22, 23, 42, and 47). Adherence and understanding of the Rules and Regulations are the responsibility of all UKC exhibitors UKC Judges and UKC Clubs. The UKC does appreciate when a valid complaint is submitted properly so that the appropriate actions can be put into effect, and the events can remain fair, safe, and fun for everyone.
Scheduling a Weight Pull:
If your club traditionally holds UKC Weight Pull events on or after August 1, 2011, please e-mail your request to hold a UKC Licensed Weight Pull on your traditional corresponding weekend. These requests can only be approved if they are received prior to the event date. Once your request is approved UKC will e-mail you a UKC Weight Pull event application so that we may obtain the information required to advertise these events in the “Upcoming Events” section of the UKC Website and, the Bloodlines Dog Event News magazine for events starting in October. Please be patient with our response time as we expect to receive a large amount of these requests, the responses will be sent according to the date of the pull. Pulls with August dates will be responded to first then September dates etc. There will be no late fees for clubs submitting applications for UKC Weight Pull events through January 31, 2012. For clubs wishing to add additional UKC Weight Pull events to their calendar, we will also be accepting requests for new events to be scheduled. Please e-mail all of your scheduling requests to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to send a huge Thank You to all of those who have made suggestions, and shown their support of the UKC Weight Pull program. Please keep in mind that there is a zero tolerance policy for any deviations from the goal of fair, fun, and family-oriented events. We look forward to a renewed success in this program and encourage all UKC Weight Pull fanciers to contribute to that success by making sure the events are kept fair, fun, and family-oriented. Check out our Upcoming Events page for a UKC Weight Pull event near you! Your continued support is greatly appreciated as we move forward with the new rules!